Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Just a Teacher

When I told my sister I was going to Teachers College. She simply replied, "You're going to be just a teacher?"  For years this has stuck with me.  The funny thing is that now  5 years later she is in Teacher's College herself.  I can guarentee you that a teacher is hardly ever just a teacher.  Please see the poem below. 

I Am A Teacher
I am a counselor and psychologist to a problem-filled child,
I am a police officer that controls a child gone wild.
I am a travel agent scheduling our trips for the year,
I am a confidante that wipes a crying child's tear.
I am a banker collecting money for a ton of different things,
I am a librarian showing adventures that a storybook brings.
I am a custodian that has to clean certain little messes,
I am a psychic that learns to know all that everybody only guesses.
I am a photographer keeping pictures of a child's yearly growth,
When mother and father are gone for the day, I become both.
I am a doctor that detects when a child is feeling sick,
I am a politician that must know the laws and recognize a trick.
I am a party planner for holidays to celebrate with all,
I am a decorator of a room, filling every wall.
I am a news reporter updating on our nation's current events,
I am a detective solving small mysteries and ending all suspense.
I am a clown and comedian that makes the children laugh,
I am a dietician assuring they have lunch or from mine I give them half.
When we seem to stray from values, I become a preacher,
But I'm proud to have to be these people because ...
I'm proud to say, "I am a teacher."

by
Stacy Bonino

I would also have to add
Dentist.  I've pulled out 5 teeth so far this year!
Nurse. Never ending scraps and bumps
Musician.  You should hear me belt out Ole McDonald
Chef.  Don't forget those memorable cooking days
Entertainer. Need a good game? A rainy day activity? Or someone who can make the kids  happy using only a sponge and some toothpicks? 
Referee. Playing fair is not always easy! 
Artist. You need to be able to draw just about everything.

So remember your teacher today  on National Teachers Day...and get them something special... and please no chocolates, candles or body lotions!  =)


No comments:

Post a Comment