Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Liar Liar pants on Fire!!

I have a child in my class that has an imagination like no other.  He comes up with the most elaborate, far fetched stories and provides details that make you second guess.  I love it!  If I could just sit with him on a daily basis and talk about his "weekend trip to Australia" or  about how "his dad was in World War 1"  I would be in heaven.  I am in awe that he can provide such quick answers to my never ending questions.  The children in the class have come to realize too that when Liam tells you something, he may or may not be telling stories or tricking. I will often hear them asking- Did you really have 341 brothers?  Your having a fashion show at your house tonight,  for real? 

A recent conversation I had with him went like this....

Child- Do you want me to take you out for dinner tonight at McDonalds?
Teacher-  I would love to meet you for dinner, but Ill pay for myself- thanks for offering.
Child-  Okay Ill meet you there at 5
Teacher- How will you get there, is your mom or dad coming?
Child-  Ill take the bus silly.
Teacher- Alright see ya there.

Next day...

Teacher-  I waited for you, but you never came.  I had to eat my Mc Nuggets by myself
Child-  Yeah, sorry about that.  Im going to give that bus driver a piece of my mind.  He was late! 
Teacher-  Ah well next time....as I turn and grin! 

Would you confront the child about "lying" or making up stories or embrace the creativity and delight in the joys of their imagination? 

No comments:

Post a Comment