Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

To Win or not to Win....

My husband always jokes that I only think I'm really good at stuff because I compare myself to kindergarteners.  For example;  I was bragging one evening that I was undefeated in chess, checkers and tic tac toe.  I however, forgot to mention that I had only played against 5 and 6 year olds.  This brought me to my next topic... winning. 

Should you let your child win every time?  I would have to stand up and shout and undoubtedly NO!  I can easily  point out the children in my class who have won every game of any sort at home.  They are the ones, who are poor losers, are crying or are refusing to continue to play if they see they will inevitably lose the game.  This is not a good character trait.  I can reassure you I also do not like to lose, I am a very competitive person but feel its essential to teach children that its okay to lose sometimes and to do it with grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment