Search This Blog

Saturday, February 22, 2020

Self Reflection

As the course comes to a close I am reviewing all my personal connections in my journal entries and reassessing my learning goals set at the beginning of the course.  I feel truly fulfilled from my last PME course but to me its just the start of a new learning journey.  I will take what I have learned throughout this course and the others to reevaluate and modify my teaching practices.  Self-reflection in education is recognized as a valuable method for developing and improving teachers’ professional practice (Farrell, 2012; Mason, 2007; Milner, 2003; Ottesen, 2007; Rodgers, 2002; Schön, 1983).  So where has and where will my self-reflection take me?  

Within self reflection teachers are often asked to become cognizant of their biases and reactions to students and curriculum (Delpit, 2006; Grant & Sleeter, 2007; Nuri-Robins, Lindsey, Lindsey, & Terrell, 2012).  I for one was often a little hesitant about embedding indigenous knowledge in the classroom, about having those tough conversations with colleagues and calling out others on their racism and privilege.  As I am reinventing myself as a educator and as I dig deeper into making a connection to my Metis roots I am still learning and unlearning about my biases, preconceived ideas, and past stereotypes that were passed down.  As I uncover these I am realizing that they have essentially shaped and influenced my pedagogical practices. 

 I am open to new ways of teaching, I am keen to implement culturally relevant curriculum, I am aware of the benefits of indigenous knowledge for all students, I am collecting resources and attending workshops, I am a settler ally and I will make an impact and  difference in Indigenous Education.  

 Oskineegish, M. (2019). The Role of Self-Reflection in an Indigenous Education Course for Teacher Candidates. Available online at https://ineducation.ca/ineducation/article/view/390/980

No comments:

Post a Comment