Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2019

Native History

20 years ago I was given two highschool course options.  I could take a Native History course or I could take a Canadian History course.  I choose the Native History course.  I remember learning about small pox and treaties, I remember learning about different tribes and the houses they built.   I vividly remember  our field trip to the Museum of Civilization in Ottawa.  For the life of me I could never understand why Canadian History and Native History were two separate entities?  Indigenous people are our countries history.

We, (Ontario) need to approach indigenous culture with the same dedication we apply to French Language. Courses in highschool should not be optional when it comes in indigenous content. It shouldn't matter what size of population of the school self identitifes as indigenous.  "Having students learn about the indigenous people of Canada provides an equal or even greater purpose- educating non-indigenous students.  Misconceptions of treaties, the water crisis, missing women, the 60's scoop and poverty on reserves.  The list goes on and on.  Not understanding what they things really are and how they have affected our communities has led to a divide."[1]

What are your thoughts?  What courses were offered to you in your educational journey?


[1] McMullen. C (2018) Ontario needs to Indigenize the Ontario Curriculum. [Online] https://chronicle.durhamcollege.ca/2018/01/ontario-needs-indigenize-ontario-curriculum/. Accessed January 20, 2019. 

No comments:

Post a Comment