Search This Blog

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Always Learning


Although I have a Metis background, this was only discovered within the last 4 years and I was raised unknowing of this family lineage.  I often struggle with white privilege and self identifying as FNMI when I have not lived through any racism, hardships, or disadvantages so many Aboriginal women have faced.  So often times you will notice I walk a fine line so that I do not speak on behalf of the culture but rather as an ally.  I am very much still learning how to navigate these waters.

Recently my sister and I were invited to the 4th annual women indigenous educators symposium with ETFO.  We both questioned if we were Metis "enough" to attend.  We were pleased to have had the opportunity and learn from 33 other women who came from all indigenous backgrounds.  It was a valuable learning experience. 

This sparked the question on how I can personally indigenizing my teaching. Indigenizing curriculum works hand in hand with decolonizing my practises.  I ask myself and in turn you,  to self reflect if you are doing your part in supporting the persistence of Indigenous people and their ways of knowing through your instructional practises?

Are we building relationships with Elders and the community? Can we take a closer look at the artists we discuss, the literature we present, the media we share? How can we decolonize ourselves, the classroom and the content we teach?

Please see the below link for a video about Decolonizing Education



<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/259225903" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No comments:

Post a Comment